Push Problems

Oliver

06 May, 2013 02:19 PM

Hello,

I installed hglab yesterday and everything worked fine (imported 9 repos - actually everything except browsing the imported repos in the web interface worked, but I think someone else in the forum here already had the same problem).

Today, I added one line to a hgignore file and tried to push it, but I get the following error message everytime:
HTTP Error: 500 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object.)
(the TortoiseHG Output Log then also says "[command returned code 255 Mon May 06 15:37:20 2013]")

I am still able to pull and detect outgoing changesets, and my colleague is still able to push changes (at least he pushed 1 changeset since the problem occured).

I am using TortoiseHG 2.7.1 with Mercurial 2.5.2 (just updated to 2.8 with Mercurial 2.6 --> did not help) on my computer and hglab-0.2.181 with mercurial-2.5.4 on the server.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Oliver

P.S.: Besides small problems Hglab is really great! Many thanks to the hglab team for their work!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 06 May, 2013 05:18 PM

Oliver,

First off, what are the problems browsing the imported repositories?

As for "HTTP Error 500", that would be great if you could find a way to
    reproduce the issue, preferably by pushing via command line with "hg push
    --debug" command. You can also take a look inside /App_Data folder of your
    HgLab installation to see if there are any log files to aid debugging.

Thanks a lot!

2. 2 Posted by Oliver on 06 May, 2013 06:58 PM

Hello Anton,

thank you for your fast answer.
    I attached a file with the result of the "hg push --debug" command excecuted from the TortoiseOutput Log, and another one which shows the htm page which is viewed after clicking an imported repository in the Dashboard.

Maybe this information is also relevant for you. Adventuresome, young and dynamic as we are, we are running Microsoft Server 2012 Essentials on our server (with IIS 8, SQL Server 2008 Essentials SP3 - no older version would run on Server 2012 (also had to install MSSQL 2012 to get the Studio Express - so much for daredevilry using Server 2012...)).

Best regards,
    Oliver

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 06 May, 2013 08:40 PM

Oliver,

Just a quick check: go to /administration/repositories and ensure that
    Encoding is set to something sensible (like 1252 or Unicode) and retry
    browsing and pushing.

Thanks for the logs, I'll see what I can do here. If I could ask you for
    one more thing, could you please grant write access to Everyone to
    /App_Data folder and retry push and browse?

Thanks for your cooperation!

4. 4 Posted by Oliver on 07 May, 2013 08:05 AM

Hello,

the encoding was already set so 1252.

What do you mean with "/App_Data" folder? The root folder of my repos? If yes, this was not the problem. I already had to give "Users" sufficient rights on this folders when I first got hglab running and pulling was possible, but not pushing. I now also gave "Everyone" read/write/modify rights, but this did not change anything.

Best regards,
    Oliver

P.S.: Out of curiosity: Is hglab compatible with SQL Server Express 2012? Just because I had some trouble with the compatibility of SQL Server 2008 and the Server 2012 operating system. If yes, this maybe would be worth to be mentioned in the install instructions.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 07 May, 2013 08:43 AM

Oliver,

Sorry for not being clear enough. /App_Data is a subdirectory of a
    directory where HgLab is installed (the one that's served by IIS), not
    where repositories are stored. This is where HgLab currently keeps all its
    logs.

Alternatively, we can schedule a TeamViewer session -- I'm more than eager
    to help out.

6. 6 Posted by Oliver on 07 May, 2013 02:01 PM

Hello,

first, adding the permissions to the App_Data folder unfortunately did not help.

I know set the phases of my last changesets to secret and updated to the last public draft --> then I was able to push a changeset again. Made changes to the hgignore file again --> problem returns. Again, set drafts to secret, updated to the last public draft --> pushing is possible again.

Tried to push changes to the hgignore file of another repo --> same problem.

I think the push error is located now, it seems to be bound to the hgignore file. Maybe the problem is caused by the fact, that the hgignore file has no name but only a file ending and hglab uses the name without ending for representing files for the push command somehow.
    Also I think there are not many hglab users out there with Windows Server 2012 Essentials, maybe this problem is connected to the OS we are running (otherwise the problem with the hgignore file would have occured much earlier I think). However, I think my guessing is not worth it, you are the Chuck Norris here and have a much deeper insight :-).

I also did some experimenting with the file permissions of the repo files and folders, because I noticed that the testrepo which I created with hglab had the IIS AppPool\HgRepo user as owner. I tried to change the owner of all folders and files of one repo (not 100% sure if I really got them all, had some troubles because some files/folders refused to inherit from its parent so I had to set them manually) which also did not help (neither for the push, nor for the browsing problem).

Thats about it. Do you have any new suggestions (primary for the hgignore files, I can live without the browsable repos)?

Best regards,
    Oliver

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 07 May, 2013 02:36 PM

Oliver,

Thanks for the detailed report. I'll try and play with phases.

Theoretically, neither .hgignore nor Windows 2012 should cause any problems but I'd really like to set up a TeamViewer (or whatever desktop-sharing tool) "call" so that I could help diagnose the problem. I'm ready to sign all the required NDAs if that's required.

8. 8 Posted by Oliver on 07 May, 2013 03:38 PM

Alright, let's have a TeamViewer session. Tomorrow would be possible, at about 11 o clock a.m. local time (don't know in which timezone you are, I am residing in GMT/UTC + 1 -> Austria).
    If tomorrow does not work for you, unfortunately, we have to postpone our session to next week and I don't really know today if I am available on Monday and Tuesday.

Best regards,
    Oliver

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 07 May, 2013 03:47 PM

Oliver,

Tomorrow is excellent. I'm in GMT+4, so let's agree on 10:00 UTC.

I'll be waiting for connection credentials.

Thanks a lot!

10. 10 Posted by Oliver on 07 May, 2013 04:02 PM

Hello,

I'm really sorry, I talked to my colleague before and my plans have changed shortly. Unfortunately I'm not in the office tomorrow. Is it okay for you if we make the session next week? As I said, I'm not sure if I'm available Monday or Tuesday, hopefully I know more on the weekend. If you agree, I will contact you by no later than Sunday if I have time on Monday, if not on Monday so we can arrange another date.

How should I send you the connection credentials?

Best regards,
    Oliver

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 07 May, 2013 04:20 PM

Oliver,

No worries. Send me an email to [email blocked] whenever you're
    ready. I'll be out of town Thu-Sun, so next week it is.

Cheers!

12. 12 Posted by Oliver on 08 May, 2013 08:23 AM

Hello,

unfortunately your email address was blocked by the forum. Do you see the mailaddress I used for my posts? If yes, send me a mail to this and we are connected.

Best regards,
    Oliver

13. Anton Gogolev closed this discussion on 08 May, 2013 08:42 AM.

14. Oliver re-opened this discussion on 17 May, 2013 10:17 AM

15. 13 Posted by Oliver on 17 May, 2013 10:17 AM

Just had a support session with Anton - again, thanks a lot for your help!

It was an incompatibility problem with old versions of Mercurial (1.5.1 in this special case). I imported my repos from this old version. Anton stated, that he will add support to for the old repo format, but till then cloning the repos resolves this problems.

In the command line, do a
    - hg clone oldrepo clonedRepo --pull
    then change into the clonedRepo and do a
    - hg up null
    then add the cloned repo to hglab and everything will work fine.

Best regards,
    Oliver

16. Anton Gogolev closed this discussion on 20 May, 2013 09:07 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

03 Aug, 2022 01:49 PM
05 Jul, 2022 07:01 PM
28 Mar, 2022 04:42 PM