HgLab works too slow on start and is hardly available on remote system

Vladimir

04 Jun, 2013 04:13 PM

Hello, thank you for great tool. Yeah, hg is distributed, but yes, main server is our "bad habbit".
Yesterday I've installed all the heavy stuff (IIS, MSSQL 2008 Express) and experiencing strange lags.
We never use MS tools in our work (except windows itself), so I leave them as they set up, although MSSQL didn't work for me until I seleced to use mixed authentication. I used your sample script to create DB and user. It's messy to set things up when you see these ugly tools in the first time (I used to use Apache/mysql/postgre as they are much more lightweight. And I'd say it looks like text files would be fast and good enough for hglab, but what's done is done).

As I said it works. And it's pretty awesome. But it seems like IIS/ASP/MSSQL needs to wake up to respond. It sometimes may take 30-60 seconds. I know that it is IIS/MSSQL setup problem, but maybe you know some tips to make it quicker? So far collegues refuse to use hglab (and mercurial depends on it in our hierarchy architecture) because "svnserve just works", but I'll not surrender, we're moving to mercurial (recently had a nightmare merge on svn).

And by the way, in IIS site settings I've selected logon type "Clear text". Is it correct or I should use something else?
Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 05 Jun, 2013 10:30 AM

Vladimir,

ASP.NET applications do have non-trivial startup time (
    http://programmers.stackexchange.com/q/97538/4994 ) and generally do lag a
    bit whenever a yet-unvisited page is being visited, but after that it
    should really be (and actuall is) very snappy. Other than that, I can only
    recommend a beefier server, as HgLab is heavily IO-bound.

Installation procedure could really be a bit simpler, but it's already ways
    easier than that of, say, RhodeCode. I'll be adding an MSI-based installer
    somewhere near 1.0 milestone.

HgLab manages all authentication internally and I would advise not to dive
    into the mess that IIS authentication/authorization is. If it works, don't
    fix it :)

2. 2 Posted by Vladimir on 05 Jun, 2013 10:04 PM

I had no luck to set things up to work every time and properly so I had to switch to apache+python+fastcgi+mercurial with basic http auth. That work really quickly (cgi not so good as fcgi) and collegues are able to work with reps remotely every time. I understand that your system is more complex, but as I see the simplier thing is the better. spend so much time on iis and mssql on our old athlon x64 2 core server, but old fellow things like apache still fits better for most tasks :)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Anton Gogolev on 07 Jun, 2013 06:14 AM

No worries. Glad you found something that works for you.

As a sidenote, other customers had successfully installed HgLab on an Amazon EC2 instance, so here's an optionaswell.

On 06.06.2013, at 2:04, "Vladimir" <[email blocked]> wrote:

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

03 Aug, 2022 01:49 PM
05 Jul, 2022 07:01 PM
28 Mar, 2022 04:42 PM